Study Questions for
How Europe Underdeveloped Africa
- What was Africa like before colonization?
(Who was “civilized,” who “savage”?)
- What was the impact of the slave trade on Africa?
- How did Africa contribute to the development of Europe?
(What happened to the profits from slavery?
Who profited from colonialism?)
- How did taxes work to dominate Africans?
- What was (is) the “international division of labor” and how did it work to keep Africans poor?
- Who got the benefit of the social services provided under colonialism?
- How did “economic development” take place in Africa?
- What happened to African political development?
- What was the effect on women of colonization?
- What about the myth that tribes had long histories of animosity and when the colonial power left they turned to killing each other?
- 6.3. What was education like in Africa before colonization?
- What educational system did the colonizers put in place?
- What was the content of that education? Why?
- What was the role of missionaries?
- Why does Rodney think that the most important principle of colonial education was “individualism”? What was the effect of individualism?