Climate Justice Manifesto
The word "manifesto" comes from the Latin meaning "clear or conspicuous." It is a public declaration of the views of the issuer on a matter of great public importance. It puts forward ideas and describes how those ideas should be carried out.
We have read much of the Communist Manifesto and, of course, there are many more examples of the genre.
The Communist Manifesto includes (1) an analysis and history of the world wide rise of capitalism and its current crisis, (2) a prescription for change including a series of demands and preliminary steps necessary to creating a just society, (3) a section which distinguishes its approach from other approaches, and (4) a call to action. It doesn't include (5) a specific vision of how a future society should be organized - something for which it has been criticized.
Drawing on our reading, discussion, and on your own independent research into the topic, I'd like you to write your climate justice manifesto. It should incorporate the five elements identified above, though not necessarily in that order or evenly balanced in length:
(1) a history and an analysis of the climate change crisis, drawing in part on what we have learned in our class;
(2) a plan for change including a series of demands and preliminary steps necessary to creating a just society;
(3) distinguishes your approach from other approaches, and justify why your approach makes sense;
(4) a call to action, why the issue is important, why here and now, how does your audience get involved?;
(5) a specific vision of how a future society should be organized.
Throughout, in every one of the five elements, connect what you are saying to issues of climate justice.
You are writing about the greatest issue human beings and, perhaps, all life on Earth has ever faced. Show that you have a serious knowledge of the facts, history, politics, theories, issues, and ethics in question.
Write in a powerful and stirring public voice and use language that will appeal to and draw others to your position. Be thoughtful, courageous, passionate, and visionary.
Publish on line at Climate Justice Manifestos.wikispaces.com - take advantage of the online format to include links, images, etc.
Created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Revised Date: 9/16