ENGLISH 630: RESEARCH AND WRITING - FALL 1997
Texts: Harner, Literary Research Guide (2nd. ed.)
Slade, Form and Style: Theses, Reports, Term Papers (10th ed.)
- Discussion of projects, McKerrow's "Form and Matter...," Literary Research Guide, etc.
- Waldo Library (meet in Rotunda)
- Computer exercise: VAX/Internet searches of library catalogues, FirstSearch, and
- Critique of scholarly article due
Discussion of "texts"; class exercises in textual collation and "de-construction"
- List of recent articles, books, diss. on your author/work
- Discussion of various aspects of Form and Style, in particular chapters 3 and 8 (+ pp. 136
41), with some glances at chapters 1 and 4 (and Appendixes A and D, and
Glossary); discussion of plagiarism.
- Continuing discussion of Form and Style; recommendations concerning non-sexist usage
from Language, Gender, and Professional Writing
- Shakespeare collation/commentary due
Computer exercise: "Editor" and "Bibliography Generator"
- Major Project exercise (materials supplied in class)
- Scholarly article due
Discussion of libraries, etc.
- Trip to Newberry Library, Chicago
- List of various manuscripts, texts, translations, etc., relevant to your major
project due; include the cost of buying rare or unusual editions of
your work and/or author
- Meet at Waldo for conferences and research: lists of biographical and historical
materials relevant to major project due
- Half of class reports on Major Project
- Remainder of oral reports; Major Project due