her Ph.D. in 1995 from the College of Education at the University of Delaware
under the direction of James Hiebert.
Since 1996 she has been on the faculty in the Department of Mathematics
at Western Michigan University where she teaches undergraduate and graduate
courses in mathematics and mathematics education.
focuses on issues of elementary mathematics education. Her current work is focused on:
- Teacher thinking and learning in the area of number and operation.
- The design and implementation of curriculum for prospective elementary teachers.
- Support materials for instructors.
This work stems from earlier work:
- designing and providing professional development for elementary teachers and teacher leaders. From 1999 – 2003, Terry co-directed the Implementing Investigations in Mathematics (InMath), a Local Systemic Change project
funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), 1999 – 2003. InMath teachers in 6 local school districts received over 100 hours of professional development and a cadre of teacher-leader were developed.
- researching the impact of curriculum on practice and supporting the work of a district-wide elementary mathematics curriculum committee. From 2004– 2007, Terry was a member of the Center for the Study of Mathematics Curriculum, supported by the NSF Center for Teaching and Learning Program.