Dr. Phil's Home
Rants, Facts and Other Distractions...
Provided for your amusement... and nothing more.
Cold and rain and gray,
Hot and muggy, it's May,
Spring has finally sprung,
Winter, we think, is done,
Is it ever too early to think,
About taking off the snow tires?
Dr. Phil's Pearls of Wisdom
"I am a computer professional. I trust computers as far as I can
throw them... and I have a bad back."
"I have no real strong opinions on anything."
"Everything is Physics."
Dr. Phil's Take on the 2002
Updated 05/11/2004 and should display better now.
What in the world did they THINK was going to happen?
Current news is filled with stories of waste and annoyance.
- The Pride and Honor of the U.S. military is on the
- How can these "guards" be so poorly trained AND
- Those who knew OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN must take responsibility.
- You cannot cover up anything in this digital/Internet world.
- "As you sow, so shall ye reap"
- Was Martha Stewart convicted of:
- Some new charge of lying which has never been used before
- Or just being Martha Stewart?
- Enron cooked its books by recording deals as income
that weren't really deals and definitely weren't income.
- Millions were made by top execs, while they couldn't meet the
- Promoted employee stock investment while they were selling.
- Is anyone actually in jail for a long time YET?
- Worldcom -- see Enron
- They're back to being MCI now
- After legally wiping out billions in debts from the growth 90s
- Unlike all their competitors, who still have their debts
- Ain't it a wonderful country?
- The Commissioner of Baseball comes to his senses for
- There will NOT be advertised printed ON the bases in Major League
- What is Spiderman 2's connection to baseball anyway?
- gets booed by his home town crowd because he forgot
the 2002 All-Star Game was a game.
- The managers were worried that their last pitchers would work too
- Everyone forgot that the Rules allow for the pitcher to change
places with a position player.
- Third basemen CAN throw the ball.
- Pitchers ARE baseball players and can field the ball.
Hang 'Em High!
We have three cats, all
different colors but from the same litter, and they all match our house's
woodwork, carpeting and furniture very nicely. The teleological
implications of this are staggering.
Road Warrior Projects 2004 · Allendale to Kalamazoo
or "You Can't Get There From Here"
- M-45 Rebuild (Allendale towards Standale) ·
It's Year 5 of the big rebuild project and they keep on putting up
orange signs and barrels, as they STILL work on the landscaping. The
double line of fancy street lights at night does look pretty.
- I-96 from Coopersville to Marne · The Good News
is they've done a beautiful job setting up the eastbound/westbound
crossovers; The Bad News is the 68th Avenue bridge at Exit 16 is GONE
(though it should be back by end of July?) and there is a six mile
detour to get to my Chevy mechanics; 16th Avenue Bridge at Exit 23 in
Marne isn't closed, but it is one way.
- M-6 Henry Freeway Interchange with US-131 (South of
Grand Rapids around 68th Street) plus the US-131 widening project
between 44th and 84th Streets · Sign poles are up and the official
rumors are that the M-6 may open from around Rivertown Crossings and
I-196 to the airport late this fall, rather than in 2005. My question
remains: Why the heck didn't they open from US-131 to the airport, especially
because of the huge bottlenecks of 28th and Breton and 44th and Breton,
where both intersections are one lane in all directions -- 28th and 44th
are both the logical cross streets to get to the airport.
- I-196 is always being torn up creating huge delays
for downtown Grand Rapids.
- US-131 Repaving on the big hills between Plainwell
and Kalamazoo. Again, quite nice setup with fancy crossovers. Oh, but
how painful when the southbound/uphill run goes to one lane -- first day
of this arrangement and the speed is running about 10-15 mph...
- US-131 Repaving in the "speedway" north of
Ann Street in Grand Rapids? Not sure when this will really get underway,
but they are doing the prep work. Due to the construction in #2 above,
don't always go this way...
- And finally, but no way least, we have the chaos of
the WMU Western Entrance project. Or, you can get to near campus, we
just won't let you in or out. I understand they're closing a road at the
Eastern Entrance, too.
The old 616 Area Code for the west half of Michigan has
been divided. The new 269 Area Code follows a line including Saugatuk,
Hamilton, Wayland, and points south. So all Western Michigan University
numbers changed from 616 to 269 Area Code -- but not Dr. Phil's
home phone number, since I live far north of the dividing line.
Computer Rants & Roses
Nominees for the "2002-2004 Jar Jar Binks 'How Rude' Prize in
- TurboTax 2001
- Internet Explorer 5.5
- TurboTax 2003 Deluxe (Intuit)
- Microsoft Windows Security Update CD
Tales of the Jurassic PC
- The Odd Case of Math Type 3.1 and Windows NT 4.0 SP6a (HARTREE)
Last Update: 11 May 2004 Tue