Office: (269) 387-4942
WMU Physics Department: (269) 387-4940 · FAX: (269) 387-4939
*** Note: Area Code 269 replacing Area Code 616 (both work until 15 February 2003)
1986-1989 Ph.D. - Applied Physics, Michigan Technological University (MTU), Houghton, Michigan. A. Barry Kunz, advisor.
Ph.D. dissertation: Ab Initio Studies of the Dissociation of an Energetic Solid (Nitromethane) in the Presence of Neighboring Charge Defects. First Ph.D. in Applied Physics awarded by MTU. Additional graduate courses in Metallurgy.
1984-1988 M.S. - Physics, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan. A. Barry Kunz, advisor.
Master's thesis: An Ab Initio Investigation of the K-alpha Spectra of Lithium in Lithium Halides (LiX). Thesis Defended Fall 1986, Revised Fall 1988.
1976-1980 B.A. - Integrated Sciences (ISP), Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
The Integrated Science Program is a unique advanced/accelerated program in all the natural sciences with added emphasis on mathematics, physics and computers. Member of first ISP class. Additional courses in Physics, 1979-81.
1994-1996 2nd Ph.D. program - Science Education, Western Michigan University (WMU), Kalamazoo, Michigan. Two years of course work toward Ph.D.
1997- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
· Lecturer - General and Elementary Physics, Modern Physics, Physics Dept.
· Visiting Assistant Professor - Physics and Engineering Dept.
General Physics, Modern Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, REU Advisor
1994-1996 Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
1993-1994 Grand Valley State University, Allendale MI
· Visiting Assistant Professor - Physics Dept.
General Physics, Math Physics and Descriptive Astronomy
1992-1993 Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
1992-1993 Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Kalamazoo MI
· Instructor - Conceptual and Technical Physics, Physics Dept.
1989- Center for Independent Quantum Studies, West Olive MI
1984-1991 Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI
Master's and Ph.D. research in computational solid state physics.
· Graduate Teaching Assistant - Physics Dept.
Labs and recitation sections in General Physics classes (algebra and calculus).
· President, MTU Graduate Student Council
MTU Search Committee - Dean of Research and Graduate Studies
MTU Nominating Committee - MTU Distinguished Teaching Awards
1981-1984 Northwestern University, Evanston IL
· Northwestern University Library - Acquisitions (Search Section) · Library Assistant I
· American Physical Society · American Chemical Society · American Association of Physics
_Teachers · Michigan Chapter AAPT (Executive Board 2000-2004, President-Elect 2002-2003)
· College Bowl moderator (GVSU-92 to date) · West Michigan Science Festival (GVSU-94, _WMU-96) · Science Olympiad activity judge (Regional GVSU-94 to date; National 98)