Hearts and Minds: Discussion
1. How would you describe your response to the film? Why? What causes it?
2. How does the film change or modify your knowledge of the war in Vietnam?
3. What are the major arguments of the film regarding:
--public knowledge and opinion before and during the war?
--our attitudes toward “the enemy”?
--the war as a war against Communist aggression? As opposed to a war of revolution?
--American culture and its inclinations toward war?
4. How does the film forward its arguments? What strategies from what documentary modes are evident at work here?
5. What is the role of the media in both the film’s analysis of its subject and its own structure?