Discussion: 13 Rue Madeleine; Call Northside 777
1. What are the similarities and differences
2. How do both films incorporate the tangible sense of actual time and place within the structures of their narratives?
3. How does 13 Rue convert the historical context of its story into the personal history of its characters?
What were “social problem” films, why did
5. How do the TCF films we’ve considered emphasize their documentary roots and materials?
6. How is this particularly important in Call Northside?
7. What are “warrants” and how do they appear and function in Call Northside?
8. How do these films incorporate important elements of melodrama?