Belize: Things to bring:
- Passport (current!). Please make sure
that both Study Abroad and Dr. Malcolm have a photocopy of your passport.
- Airline ticket.
- Spending money (at least $100 US,
note: $1 US = $2 BZ). Small
denomination bills are recommended and there is a US$35.00 departure tax
- Water bottle (easily portable).
- 2 flashlights with 3 sets of batteries
for each flashlight (these are expensive to buy in Belize): 1 small and
1 larger for spotting wildlife at night. Also bring spare bulbs.
- 2 bottles of sunscreen (SPF 30 or
higher and waterproof).
- 2 bottles of insect repellent (squeeze
bottles not pre-pressurized) with high proportion of active ingredient (such
as "deep woods OFF").
- Personal mosquito net in case
mosquitoes at night are troublesome.
- Light backpack for carrying notebook,
food and light equipment.
- Laboratory notebook (bound with lines
- Course text and any other books you
wish to bring.
- Pencils (permanent ink), pens, eraser
and small ruler (metric).
- Binoculars (if you have them; we will
also bring some extra pairs).
- Camera (either digital or film; if you
have access to a waterproof camera that would also be very useful).
- Snorkelling equipment: mask, snorkel
- Washing kit (toothbrush, soap,
shampoo, one towel, washcloth).
- Small ziploc bag of laundry detergent
for hand-washing clothing.
- Personal medication (plus motion
sickness medication or pressure pads if susceptible to aircraft or boat
motion, and anti-malarial medication (chloroquine) of prescribed by your
- Large plastic trash bag (for bringing
home wet or dirty clothing).
- Bedding sheets (2) and pillow case.
- 3 pairs of shorts.
- Long pair of field pants and
long-sleeved shirt or sweatshirt.
- Hat or cap with protection for your
neck and face from the sun.
- 3 T-shirts.
- Light jacket or poncho as rain gear.
- Socks and underwear (easily washable).
- Swimsuit (plus a spare swimsuit).
- 1 pair strong sneakers or light hiking
- 1 pair sandals.
- Foot protection while wading in rivers
and on reefs (scuba booties, aqua socks etc.).
Each person can carry two pieces of checked baggage, but
you may or may not be allowed carry-on baggage by the airline. Make sure that you pack as lightly as
possible and only take what you really need. If you can't carry it all easily then you've packed too much!
Please do not bring radios and note that you cannot travel
by air with any kind of cigarette lighter in either your checked or carry-on