April 26, 2008
2008 Conference – Grayling, MI
Michigan Lakes and Streams Association
Prepared by Charlotte and Howard Poole
List of Resources for the Riparian – April 2008
1. A Citizenıs Guide for the Identification, Mapping, and Management of the Common Rooted Aquatic Plants of Michigan Lakes by Howard Wandell and Lois Wolfson, Michigan State University Extension, 2007
2. Cottage Bible by Gerry Mackie and Laura Elise Taylor, Boston Mills Press, 2007.
3. Cold. Clear, and Deadly by Melvin J. Visser. Michigan State University Press, 2007.
4. Evolution of the Great Lakes water quality agreement by Lee Botts and Paul Muldoon, Michigan State University Press, 2005.
5. The Great Lakes Cottage Book, by Ed Wargin & Kathy-Jo Wargin, Sleeping bear Press, 2000
6. The Great Lakes Water Wars by Peter Annin. Island Press, 2006.
7. Guide to Great Lakes Coastal Plants by Ellen Elliott Weatherbee, University of Michigan Press, 2004.
8. Islands, Great Lakes Stories by Gerry Volgenau. Ann Arbor Media Group. 2005.
9. The Living Great Lakes, Search for the Heart of the Inland Seas by Jerry Dennis. St. Martinıs Press, 2003.
10. Maintaining a Vacation Home by Steve Grooms. Creative Publishing, 2006.
11. Michigan Wetlands - Yours to Protect: A Citizen's Guide to Wetland Protection. By Wilfred Cwikiel. Petoskey, MI: Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council, 2003.
12. On the brink: the Great Lakes in the 21st century by Dave Dempsey, Michigan State University Press, 2004.
13. A Riparianıs Guide for Self-Help Inland Lake Water Quality Management. Cooperative Extension Service, Michigan State University . Nov. 1979
14. Saving the Family Cottage by Stuart J. Hollander, Esq. Pleasant City Press. 2007
15. Water: Opposing Viewpoints Greenhaven Press. 1994.
16. Water follies: groundwater pumping and the fate of America's fresh waters by Robert Glennon, Island Press, 2002.
Books for Pleasure
17. Fresh Water; Women Writing on the Great Lakes, Alison Swan, Editor. Michigan State University Press. 2006.
18. Peninsula, Essays and Memories from Michigan. Ed. By Michael Steinberg. Michigan State University Press, 2000.
19. A Place on the Water, An anglerıs Reflections on Home by Jerry Dennis. St. Martinıs Press. 1993.
20. Shoreline: seasons at the lake by Elizabeth A. Schultz. Michigan StateUniversity Press, 2001.
21. Up to the Lake by Tom Hegg, Waldmqn House Press, Inc. 1986
22. The Waters of Michigan by David Lubbers and Dave Dempsey, Michigan State University Press, April 2008.
23. The Womenıs Great Lakes Reader by Victoria Brehm. Ladyslipper Press, 2000.
Just for kids (or those who are kids)
24. Buck Wilderıs Small Fry Fishing Guide by Tim Smith and Mark Herrick. Alexander and Smith Pub. 1995
25. Buck Wilderıs Small Twig Hiking and Camping Guide by Tim Smith and Hark Herrick. Alexander and Smith Pub. 1997.
26. Legend of Sleeping Bear by Kathy-jo Wargin. Sleeping Bear Press, 1998.
27. The Legend of Mackinac Island by Kathy-jo Wargin. Sleeping Bear Press, 1999.
28. Watersheds, A Practical Handbook for Healthy Water by Clive Dobson and Gregory Gilpin Beck. Firefly books, 1999.
Whisper in the Woods, Nature Journal, Kimberli A. Bindschatel, Editor in
Chief, Turning Leaf Productions, LLC. $24.00 (4 issues)/year.
Michigian Blue Magazine
Lake- Lifestyles on Lake Michigan Magazine
Michigan Riparian – Online at http://www.mi-riparian.org/
Northern Home and Cottage
Michigan Lakes and Streams Association – http://www.mlswa.org/
MEL eLibrary - http://www.mel.org
MelCAT - http://elibrary.mel.org/search
State of Washignton Water Resources –
Michigan Land Use Institute – www.mlui.org
Water Works – Report on water resources in MI
The Shoreline Guide – sample ordinances
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Northwest Center for Sustainable Resources
Ohio Department of Natural Resources – Guide to Ohio Streams
Minnesota Shoreland Management Resource Guide
The Izaak Walton League of America –
Stream Corridor Enhancements Methods –
Clean Boats Campaign - http://www.iwla.org/index.php?id=461
Water and Riparian Rights Reference List Qustia
Water and Riparian Rights Book list from Allbookstores.com
Water Related Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
Michigan Lake Water Clarity
Carl – Conservation and Recreational Lands in Midwest
Underground Mapping Project (MDEQ – USGS – MSU
Michigan Surface Water Information Management (MiSWIM)
MDEQ Groundwater Modeling Program (GMP)
Michigan Center for Geographic Information
Michigan Sea Grant Project – NOAA, MSU, U of M
We would like to thank the following people who assisted us in getting this list together
because without their help some of these resources would not have been made possible.
Michigan State University Press
Library of Michigan and Karen Reisch
MEL and Suzanne Robinson
Various libraries in Michigan:
Lincoln Twp. Library, Stevensville; Southwestern Michigan College
Library, Dowagiac District Library, Cass County District Library,
Western Michigan University Libraries.