B. One Piece Variations
*opening at elbow
1. Follow sleeve A directions
2. Mark on each sleeve elbow point and cut a diamond shape as illustrated.
3. Clip and turn outer and lining edges inside of sleeve and stitch closed. Add trim around edges.
*opening from elbow to wrist
1. Alter your sleeve pattern and cut material as illustrated.
2. Cut two sleeves and 2 lining. The lining can be of a contrasting fabric for reversible sleeves.
3. Sew side seams on all sleeves to just below elbow.
4. Turn lining right side out and place it inside of outer sleeve so right sides of fabric are together. Tack a ribbon or button loop to outer sleeves at center top. (If you want ties instead lacing, place ribbons along seam now)
4. Pin and sew along bottom of sleeves and up either side to elbow.
5. Turn sleeve right side out with lining inside of outer sleeve.
6 Clip and turn 5/8" of sleeve top fabric and lining into center and.hand stitch closed
7. (Skip if you added ties in step #4)
Add buttonholes/grommets along sleeve opening from elbow to wrist
8. Sew button or ribbon onto bodice shoulder.
Back to Top
Three Piece Sleeve
1. Make a copy of sleeve pattern and cut into three separate pieces.
Remember to add seam allowance to the middle piece on both ends.
This will compensate for the loss in overall sleeve length.
2. Cut sleeve pieces from outer and lining fabric.
3. If you plan on using ties or button loops to close the sleeves,
now is the time to pin ribbons onto the outer fabric as illustrated,
otherwise add grommets or button holes after the last step.
4. With right sides of outer and lining fabric together sew all
4 sides leaving an opening to turn fabric right side out. Clip
corners, turn, press and whip stitch opening closed.