River Island Needleworker

I am an avid needleworker and quilter from Plainwell, Michigan. Plainwell is located about 10 miles north of Kalamazoo, Michigan and is situated on an island in the Kalamzoo River. The Kalamazoo River is an EPA area of concern due to PCB contamination from the numerous paper mills along the river. For more information see Kalamazoo River Superfund Site and wikiPedia

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Long Dog Sampler Pinkeepers

I did five of these over Xmas - three have been finished as a pinkeeper, one as the top of a fabric box (purchased). I have one still to finish and another one or two to make. I stitched one using Waterlilies Amethyst, one using Waterlilies Charcoal, and one using Wildflowers Amethyst. Sorry, but I never took pictures of these. The were all stitched on a special run of 32 cnt Lakeside Linen, sort of a light gray/silver color.

This pinkeep is on 28 count Babbling Brook Luagana. I don't remember the thread other than it was a Waterlilies. I charted the initials in my X-stitch software using a motif in Paradym Lost from Long Dog Samplers - the one that contains the initials. It looked about the right size and looked easy/fast to do. In fact these took at most 2 evenings to stitch!

I bought some round decoupage "ornaments" at Michaels and removed the center hanger. I centered my motif and glued it on. I did the same for the backing fabric, then added the ribbon around the edge to cover everything up. This worked well for the pinkeep on 28 count. For my 32 count pinkeeps, the decourpage ornament was a bit big, so I cut rounds out of some foam core board and cardboard. The needlework was centered and glued to the foam core board and the backing material glued to the card board. I glued the two together and wrapped it around with ribbon and added the pins! I liked the foam core better as there was more substance for the pins to stick into.

3 Comments:

• At 7:45 AM, Carol said…

Thanks Julie - neat idea!

• At 11:35 PM, Jamie said…

Such a cute finish! I love it.

• At 2:24 AM, Ruth Rachel Vendsel said…

Hi Julie,

What a beautiful pinkeep! I love the way you looped the ribbons at the top. I'm so glad to have found your blog, you're doing many lovely things and I'll be back often. Thanks for the kind props on the PS board! :)

Rachel

Post a Comment

<< Home