River Island Needleworker

I am an avid needleworker and quilter from Plainwell, Michigan. Plainwell is located about 10 miles north of Kalamazoo, Michigan and is situated on an island in the Kalamzoo River. The Kalamazoo River is an EPA area of concern due to PCB contamination from the numerous paper mills along the river. For more information see Kalamazoo River Superfund Site and wikiPedia

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Ides of March

Three years ago, on the Sunday before the Ides of March, I totalled my 1997 Confetii Blue Toyota Rav 4 . Given it was March 13, I guess I was lucky it wasn't on a Friday. I hit a patch of ice, skidded to the other lane, and flipped 360 degrees. When my car finished rolling, I was pointing east instead of west (i.e. pointing in the correct direction considering what side of the road I was now on). My engine was still running, the radio still playing, and I was about 20 feet into a neighbor's yard.

My first thought: "Sh**!! I just totalled my car! "
My second thought: "Seat belts work!"
The rest of my thoughts that day: "Sh**!! I totalled my car!"

I loved that car. It was my middle-aged crisis car, even though I wasn't in one. It was seven years old. It was paid for. I wanted to keep it forever and ever (or at least another 7 years). I have another Rav now. It's isn't quite the same, though.

I drive by that same spot a few times a week as it is just down the road from where I live (most car accidents occur within 25 miles of your house). Every day that I go by this house and see the big oak tree that I missed by mere inches, I mourn my Confetti Blue Toyota Rav 4.

Today, I celebrate that I have passed the second Sunday after the Ides of March where I haven't totalled my car.

Above something I've started as a gift a Friends Sampler from Hillside Samplings. On 32 count Flax linen.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

• At 7:25 AM, Carol said…

That's quite a story! Trauma can sure stick with us, but I am so glad you were not harmed! I love your start - that HS sampler is such a pretty one, and a lucky friend who will get that!

• At 8:25 AM, Carol said…

Hi Julie,
    Please email me at carolsutcliffe@comcast.net. I do take PayPal - thanks! I can ship both for $3 for you :-) I need your email address to send you the invoice! Thanks so much!!! Carol

Post a Comment

<< Home