River Island Needleworker

I am an avid needleworker and quilter from Plainwell, Michigan. Plainwell is located about 10 miles north of Kalamazoo, Michigan and is situated on an island in the Kalamzoo River. The Kalamazoo River is an EPA area of concern due to PCB contamination from the numerous paper mills along the river. For more information see Kalamazoo River Superfund Site and wikiPedia

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Spring Love

I haven't had much time in the last few weeks to post much as I was away from the Internet for almost three weeks. I was on vacation for a while (spent some time in Shipshewana at a quilt retreat) and then had a week that unexpectedly needed to be devoted to family. Life happens.

Spring is my favorite season. In late February the signs are there as male redwing blackbirds return and begin defending territory. In March, egged on by increasing daylight, the cardinal's song begins to swell.

I have a pair of phoebes (FEE-BEES) that nest every year in the eaves of my A-frame. I know spring has truely arrived with I wake in the morning to hear them singing their name. Soon after, I hear the song sparrows. Over the past weekend, I heard some migrating white throated sparrows. I always love to hear their song as they move north, it is so beautiful. I wish they would stay. And according to the hummingbird map, it's time to start hanging the feeder.

During my 'hiatus' I rec'd two exchanges from Britt and Mylene and have sent both of mine off. I hope they like them. Both ladies sent me robins! Above is Britt's pillow to me. This is so perfect as my yard is full of spring blooming bulbs and robins . . . .and cardinals.

Speaking of cardinals, spring love is all around, including one cardinal who should now be brain dead. He spends the day dive bombing his reflection in my windows, and I mean from dawn to dusk. When I'm home I sometimes start whistling at him and that starts him singing. His females seems to stick close by, encouraging all his antics.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

• At 7:57 PM, Lee said…

Last year we had a cardinal that battered our windows from dawn to dusk every blessed day from April to almost October. It never quit, which was pretty annoying when dawn was at 5AM.

I was never so glad to see winter come along. I'm crossing my fingers that he's moved on to another neighbor's house....

• At 1:30 PM, Julie said…

Lee,

Gee, that's something to really look forward to..hopefully, my cardinal will be smarter than yours.

Julie

Post a Comment

<< Home