- Harmony and War: Confucian Culture and Chinese Power Politics (New York: Columbia University Press, 2011).
[Reviewed in at least 14 journals, including Foreign Affairs, Journal of Asian Studies, China Quarterly, China Review, Asian Politics & Policy, Global Asia, Journal of Chinese Military History, Journal of International and Global Studies, Survival, Journal of Chinese Political Science, H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable, Journal of Song-Yuan Studies, Perspectives on Politics, and International Journal of the Asia-Pacific.]
- “Explaining the Tribute System: Power, Confucianism, and War in Medieval East Asia,” Journal of East Asian Studies, Vol. 13, No. 2 (May-August 2013), pp. 207-232. (pdf)
- “Taiwan Public Opinion on Cross-Strait Security Issues,” Strategic Studies Quarterly, Vol. 7, No. 2 (Summer 2013), pp. 93-113. (pdf)
- “Managing Regional Hegemony in Historical Asia: The Case of Early Ming China,” Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Summer 2012), pp. 129-153. (pdf)
- “China’s Response to the Unipolar World: The Strategic Logic of Peaceful Development,” Journal of Asian and African Studies, Vol. 45, No. 5 (October 2010), pp. 554-567. (pdf)
- “Offensive Realism and the Rise of China,” Issues & Studies, Vol. 40, No. 1 (March 2004), pp. 173-201. (pdf)
- “Taiwan's Democratization and Cross-Strait Security," Orbis, Vol. 48, No. 2 (Spring 2004), pp. 293-304. (pdf)
- “Leguan de xianshi zhuyi: guoji guanxi shoushi xianshi zhuyi zhi pingxi” (“Optimistic Realism: An Appraisal of Defensive Realism in International Relations”), Guoji guanxi xuebao (Journal of International Relations), Vol. 18 (December 2003), pp. 40-54. [in Chinese] (pdf)
- “Preserving Peace in the Taiwan Strait,” Chinese Political Science Review, Vol. 33 (June 2002), pp.149-174. (pdf)
- “Toward A Synthesis of the Theories of Peripheral Nationalism: A Comparative Study of China’s Xinjiang and Guangdong,” Asian Ethnicity, Vol. 2, No. 2 (September 2001), pp. 177-195. (pdf)
- “Rethinking U.S. Security Commitment to Taiwan,” in Wei-chin Lee ed., Taiwan’s Political Re-Alignment and Diplomatic Challenges (New York: Palgrave, forthcoming in 2018).
- “Power and the Use of Force,” in Timothy Brook, Michael van Walt van Praag, and Miek Boltjes eds., Sacred Mandates: Asian International Relations since Chinggis Khan (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2018), pp. 70-75.
- “The Historical Legacy of Chinese Security Policy,” in Lowell Dittmer and Maochun Yu eds., Routledge Handbook of Chinese Security (New York: Routledge, 2015), pp. 21-33.
- “The Myth of Chinese Exceptionalism: A Historical Perspective on China’s Rise,” in Vinod Aggarwal and Sarah Newland eds., Responding to China's Rise: US and EU Strategies (New York: Springer, 2015), pp. 51-74.
- “Zhonggong zai meiguo anquan zhanlue zhong de jiaose,” (China’s role in American security strategy), in Yann-huei Song ed., Zhongmei guanxi zhuanti yanjiu: 2001-2003 (Topics on Sino-American Relations, 2001-2003) (Taipei: Institute of European and American Studies, Academia Sinica, 2006), pp. 97-120. [in Chinese] (pdf)